Thursday, August 25, 2005

I know we're cool

Now I remember why I used to always write posts full of lists.....because I would wait so long in between posts that by the time I sat down to write, I was bursting with shit to say (all of which was unrelated) and I wanted a quick, easy way to get everything down. (Gee, can you believe I'm attempting to be a WRITER as a career, when I can't even keep up and organize my stupid blog?) Anyway things have been busy, but I've been busy with stuff that I can't really write about on here (namely...work, which I wish I could bitch about--giving you all the full scoop on a certain horrible place....but I like to eat and not be homeless and with the spate of recent firings of dumbasses who named names on their blogs while explaining the ins and outs of their various workplaces, I don't really think its in my best interest here to get too detailed. And, believe me, once I get started with my complaining, I'm hard to shut up! That said, I've already told most of you about my difficult last few weeks, professionally speaking. So you're probably all caught up). That whole gramatical nightmare of a parenthetical is just to say that all of the big stuff in my life isn't really for public consuption. But really, when have you ever really known me to blog about "the big stuff." I'm much more interested in redonkulous minutae.

So here is my list of unrelated minutae that I really felt I needed to blog about.

1)I'm really really confused about all of the new reality shows about reality show stars. Its just too meta. And do these people really need any more attention? Dude, Trishelle, get a real job!! And reality show producers: Every dumb opportunity like "Kill Reality" and "Battle of the Network Reality Stars" is another reason for her NOT TO! Normally, I'm the first girl signed up to see MTV reality losers battle it out for cash and an additional 2 minutes of fame (After all, I fucking LURVE those Real World/Road Rules challenges), but Christ, it is all the same people on every show. I was especially disheartened to see Joyce and Uchenna (my fave couple and the winner of last season's Amazing Race) on one of these dumb ass shows. Guys! You are so much better than that! I can't believe I actually cried when you won the Amazing Race!

2) Is everybody else obsessed with Gwen Stefani's "Cool" video? I've tried to resist. I'm kinda over Gwen's ubiquitousness. (Plus, she got on my last nerve with fucking "Rich Girl," which was not only terrible, but I've also been told was a beat that appeared on some rappers mix tape like a year earlier. Sidenote: can the next pseudo hip-hop song called "Rich Girl" please sample Hall and Oates, not fucking Topol!) I kinda love how she looks like a kemmer baby of young Madonna and the girl who plays Amanda on All My Children when she has brown hair. And I kinda love her big forties style skirts and glamourous, Italian Riviera Sophia Loren look. I even kinda like the song because it reminds me of Lisa Lisa (who happened to be the second concert I ever went to!). The only thing I don't like is that it is always over so quick. It's like I realize that its on and stop flipping through channels and then--poof!--it's over.

3) Speaking of things that make me stop on MTV while flipping channels....I have a new guilty pleasure. And not even a kinda cool one (like my love of Kelly Clarkson). I'm kinda obsessed with the new Mariah Carey song, "Shake It Off." I have never....NEVER liked a Mariah song. And she's had 16 number 1 hit singles, so that is quite an accomplishment. But the skittering, jittery Jermaine Dupri beat. (Hey, he might be the midgiest midge in midgeville, but dude can make a good beat! It won him Janet Jackson, didn't it?) It's really stripped down and syncopated and the best part is that, for the first time ever in her her career, she doesn't over-sing it. There aren't really any vocal pyrotechnics or trills or belting. It's just breezy. It kind of reminds me of a female version of Usher's "U Got It Bad," which was always playing on WBLS when I was temping and all of the other temps listened to WBLS all day (mostly for Wendy Williams' afternoon show).

4)Am I the only one who missed "Best Week Ever?" I hate summer break. I need more of the Modern Humorist guys. I think Shaya and I should go on a double date with them. Where am I supposed to turn to discuss Diddy's name change or the fake Maddox Jolie blog or how much I wanted to die after watching the final episode of Six Feet Under??

5) Speaking of SFU.....omigod! I haven't cried at the end of a show like that in FOREVER.....nope, that's a lie. The last time I made myself sick from crying over a show's finale was Quantum Leap. C'mon...Sam finally got home and he chose to step back into the Quantum Accelerator to go back and fix Al's love life, even though it meant he probably would never leap home to his wife and family. That's friendship! (Oh and speaking of Six Feet Under, mosey over to their site and you can read everyone's obits and learn tidbits like that Claire and Ted do marry but never have kids.)

6)Everyone run, don't walk to the record store and buy the new Blood on the Wall album, "Awesomer." It is awesomer than their last. Think early Sonic Youth playing slow-burn, psychedelic Velvet Underground songs.

7) Also, Carrie turned me on to the best band, Matt & Kim. They are a punk rock Mates of State or Atom and his Package as fronted by a tattooed up Williamsburg hipster. The best/weirdest part is that their album cover, which looks like a piece of mail, lists their address as the same as my first apartment in New York that I lived in 6 years ago!

I think that's it. After a full week of work, the last thing I need to do is spend more time in front of or engaged with a freakin' computer! n

1 Comments:

Blogger shaymo said...

double date!

uhh, i guess i'll take the brown one. for obvious reasons.

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home