Thursday, July 28, 2005

A change has come, she's under my thumb

I was just browsing all of the usual blogs and I realized that a full-on fight had errupted on Shaya's. That is hilarious. I didn't realize that your dating life inspired so much passion from strangers in Oklahoma! Anyway, it reminded me that I hadn't posted in a while. I mean, Christ, it is almost August! (Why is it always time to pay rent??)

Anyway, I am on record as being the whitest white girl ever. I am hopelessly in over my head when music geeks want to talk hip hop--after all, I was that girl who, before the 2001 robbery where all of my CDs were stolen, owned like 5 hip-hop albums (for those of you who care: "Things Fall Apart" by the Roots, "Aquemini" and "Stankonia" by OutKast, "The Low End Theory" by Tribe Called Quest, and "Three Feet High and Rising" by De La Soul.....Yeah, that's a pretty white-girl list.). I mean, c'mon people I'm a Morrissey fan. I spent my high school years moping to the Cure or wishing that I was British while listening to "Modern Life is Rubbish," not wishing that I lived in South Central because Dr. Dre was so cool (though I definitely grew up with a bunch of people who did). It's not that I hated rap music, I supported it in the abstract and stood up for it and defended the language used in it. But, generally speaking, rap never really spoke to my life. Plus (at the risk of sounding like a too-political wet blanket feminist) it was really hard for me to listen to songs that demeaned women or told violent stories. So I stayed cozy in my rock cocoon for years. (Cuz rock stars never demean women! It's not like one of my favorite Stones songs is "Under My Thumb" or anything!)

The thing is though, I have some great friends who know a lot about hip hop. Listening to them expound on the greatness of the lyrics of Easy-E (Shaya) or the excitment of alterna-hip hop like Atmosphere (Kenneth) or giving the Game a chance because of his storytelling skills (Jon), has really gotten me more interested. I'm still pretty ignorant, though I think the number or rap albums I own might now number 10. (That is if albums like M.I.A.'s count as "hip-hop")

I bring this all up because, despite the hideousness of the weather recently, I've been in a really good mood. And being in a really good mood in summertime is not only something I'm kind of unfamilair with (I'm much more a winter person) but it lends itself to a different soundtrack than my usual. I mean, its hard to bounce down the sunny street smiling with Bright Eyes whining on my iPod (no disrespect meant to Conor--I still want to have like 10,000 of his babies and I LURVE his albums!). Luckily I found this collection of mixes that Jon made for me like 2 years ago in an attempt to school me in excellent hip hop. And while I listened to those three CDs when he first gave them to me, I don't think I really gave them a chance. But I've been listening to them almost non-stop for the last two days now. In fact, as I write this Nas is rhyming about how it ain't hard to tell. And it is awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home