Saturday, July 16, 2005

Feel like I'm gonna ignite

There is so much awesomeness going on, my heart (which is capable of crazy 13 year old girl obsession in a totally unnatural way for a 27 year old woman) is fucking bursting.

1) Why did nobody tell me that my boyfriend is on the cover of the Voice? Jesus, I don't go in to their offices for like a month and I loose all touch. I'm sorry, the only thing foxier than Michael Pitt is Michael Pitt playing faux Kurt Cobain. Yum. I wish I hadn't been such a tired ass pussy a couple weeks ago when his band played at Pianos. I might have imploded if he were standing a foot away from me in person. Hell I almost imploded, knowing that he was two blocks away from my apartment.

2) Speaking of amazing bands that play right downstairs from me--last night I totally missed my opportunity to see Be Your Own Pet at Rothko when the assmunching door men wouldn't let me in. Much to my delight when I picked up the new NME today, they had a whole feature on their UK tour. Christ I feel old--it used to be that I wanted to grow up and be Kim Deal or Kim Gordon, now I want to get younger so I can be like Jemima. She's like a blond, Southern Karen O--if Karen O weren't yet legal to drink.

3)Got the new Statistics album. It's pretty freakin' great. Denver Dalley's (formerly of Desaparicedos with my other boyfriend Conor) Saddle Creek-ish band ('cept their label is actually Delaware's Jade Tree) got less keyboard-y on this release and totally embraced anthemic Weezer (circa the Blue Album) choruses. Check it out. It's like if Desaparicidos was Conors agit-emo band before he went all folk singer-y, then it was Denver's political noise band before he went and crafted big hooks.

4) Also, I don't know if I've peed myself about the debut album from Clap Your Hands Say Yeah on this site yet--but I've certainly written them up for work a bunch. It's a shame that they are playing the VICOUS 2nd anniversary show at Southpaw for two reasons....#1: Cuz I'm not dragging my ass all the way to Park Slope ever again if I can help it and #2: Cuz it's been sold out since it was, like, announced. For all those hipsters who love Arcade Fire but wish they weren't so funereal or all of the Pitchfork readers who poo themselves over Neutral Milk Hotel but wish that David Byrne were their lead singer--this band's for you!

5) I woke up early this morning (a/k/a 11:26) to go to a noon showing of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which I quite liked. The movie looks great, Johnny Depp's Wonka is less scary than Gene Wilder's (he scared the crap out of me when I was a kid because he could totally turn on you!), but more disturbing. I've loved Noah Taylor since Flirting and especiallly since Almost Famous and, while his part here (as Charlie's dad) is small, I just loved seeing him at all. Plus, the best thing about this new version: No Cheer Up Charlie! I highly recommend that everyone see it during an afternoon showing in a theater full of kids because they were the best part. One small Chinese boy with thick glasses who looked about 8, loudly made one of the most innocent and honest gasps I've ever heard in a theater when Charlie finally found the golden ticket. It was so effing cute. The only downside to today's movie was that I couldn't enjoy the last 10 to 15 minutes of it because I spotted a rat running across the aisle and became traumatized. Seriously there is nothing I hate more than rats. So I spent the end of the movie with my feet on the arm rest of the chair in front of me, trying not to hyperventalate.

6) Today is the SIREN fest and I'm really sorry not to be there. (If, for no other reason, than to see Be Your Own Pet, Spoon, and Q and not U before they disband) But it is too hot for me and my a/c addicted ass and I have to go to work in an hour. This will be the first SIREN I've not gone to. I was even at the first one. If memory serves they showed the PRHM Karaoke documentary inside the freak show tent (ah.....little did they know!)

4 Comments:

Blogger shaymo said...

i do not cotton to being called no one, missy. i sent you the michael pitt article and pointed out that he was your boyfriend. retraction requested.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Retown said...

No, you totally sent me the article....but I didn't realize that it was the cover story. I thought it was just some review from the inside... I was shocked to walk past a VV stand the other day and see his face staring out at me!

12:45 PM  
Blogger shaymo said...

he's always staring at you. you just don't know it.

i'm going to stop posting to your blog because we live together and it's weird.

love,
shaya

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and I didn't show you cause I'm an asshole.

Hi!

We need to do try harder!

Sorry, I am an asshole again because I know how busy you are.

-C

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home