Monday, February 23, 2004

*TV Party*

It was appropriate for me- since, in my current state of unemployement, I've got nothing better to do than watch tv and have a couple of brews- to catch Black Flag's ode to suburban boredom in the modern age on TV. But I find it very jarring (and disturbing) that it was while flipping through the channels today and stopping on On Air with Ryan "the homogay" Seacrest, that the highlighted one was playing TV Party as a segue from a commercial into his discussion of the SAG awards. I don't think Seacrest's core demo of crushing 13-year old girls (and sexually ambigious guys) know or care about Black Flag and I can't believe that Black Flag would really want themselves associated with Ryan Seacrest and his type of "hard-hitting celebrity journallism." (Does anyone really believe that Greg Ginn okayed this licensing request?) I'm not trying to be some teenage hardcore fan, yelling "sell out." That's not really my bag. But it was just so uncongruous; I was kind of shocked. I mean, who prepares to rock some BF after Ryan Seacrest's discussion of (I shit you not) how he cried while watching the last episode of Sex and the City and how he was distracted by Charlize Theron's SAG award acceptance speech because he was trying to figure out what kind of bronzer she was wearing on her shoulders. PS, Ryan: That is miles past metrosexual. And 13 year old girls (and the aforementioned questioning boys) may enjoy that kind of girly, non-threatening afternoon TV appeal. But women, well, we find it a little creepy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home