Saturday, February 21, 2004

I'm kind of digging the new show on Vh1, The Best Week Ever. I mean, it's like I Love the 80's but instead of having to go to all the trouble to wait twenty years before we feel all nostalgic and ironically detached from events- now we barely have to wait a week. So in the spirit of this interesting/moronic show that keeps people like Judy Gold and those MTV comedy twins in business, I thought I'd give you my week's wrap up.

The winners:

Ok, I know this isn't a strictly "this week" phenomenon but I'm OBSESSED with the Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind preview . I watch it on my computer all the time! I'm counting the days until it gets released. (Although, I must admit that the wait just got a little shorter- THANKS JESSICA for inviting me to a screening in 8 days!) I mean, generally I'm not a Jim Carrey fan. When he's being goofy, he's too plastic-faced and manic and when he's being serious, he's trying too hard to be earnest. But this movie looks like it has everything: a punk-rock-looking Kate Winslet, a script by Charlie Kaufman, Michel Gondry as a director (you make one White Stripes video, you're pretty cool; you make two, you're ice cold!). Plus the preview has Mr. Blue Sky by ELO in it. I forgot how freaking great ELO can be. Sometimes I forget that there is more to them than Xanadu.

I am so happy that Ashton Kutcher has been outed as a 30 year old! I love it so much that I lurve it! I knew there was no way that dude went to college, modeled underwear and made a hit TV for six years and was (allegedly) a month younger than I am! Now if the media could just get their hands on documents to prove that Catherine Zeta Jones isn't the 34 years that she claims (c'mon that woman is at least 40!), then maybe we could stop all the squawking about the age differences between them and their partners.

I am loving the Fiery Furnaces record Gallowsbird's Bark. It's been the soundtrack to my week as I sit in front of my computer and hammer out a freelance assignment. I like listening to their song "Bow Wow" at 4 in the morning as my eyes are getting blurry from staring at the screen and I'm tired and depressed that no one that I called and emailed for my article has gotten back to me. (Being a journalist can really feel like being the most unpopular kid in high school the night before prom- no one will take your calls!) The boogie-woogie blues piano and Eleanor's breathy, naked, Cowboy-Junkies-but-more-rock vocals lifted my spirit and reminded me that my deadline was right around the corner and then I'd be all done! (or as Annie says- "it's only a day away!") The Fiery Furnaces are playing at Northsix in Williamsburg on 3/26 for only 10 bucks! Get your tickets now.

Ok, you'd think I'd be sick of it by now, but I'm not. "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" might be the best song ever. I'm physically incapable of getting bored of it.

I admit it. I've given in. Fucking Britney Spears. Fucking "Toxic." Fucking swervy, note-bending futuristic surf-rock. I wake up singing this fucker. I can't even look away from the Britney-as-super-villian video where she sort of plays Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy from the worst of the Batman sequels. (Though I must say Brit as a stewardess doesn't really re-inforce my confidence of the aviation industry!)

Ryan Adams on "The O.C." Ain't nothin' wrong with that. There is a 14-year-old girl inside me that wants a Seth Cohen to ask me to dance while Ryan's version of "Wonderwall" plays. I read a rumor once that Oasis declared Ryan's version the definitive version of the song. And I must concurr. It the standout track of a pretty lackluster year for Ryan. (I'm sorry baby but I have to admit that- even though you had three releases this year- NONE of them rose to your potential. I'll still marry you though!)

The losers:

David Gest. What do you do for a second act after marrying a boozy, past-her prime, gay icon/songstress? Marry another one? I love these internet rumors that he is engaged to Diana Ross because a) they claim that the couple got together after her drunk driving arrest, so it's like Gest is out there trolling for drunken, washed up stars- but only if they're drunken! b) he's so clearly gay that I don't know who he think's he's fooling with marriage, but at least he's marrying the only two women (outside of Judy Garland) that the gay community would approve of ! and C) Frankly, I love any story that involves David Gest because it is another opportunity to stare at his REALLY SCARY BOTOXED face!

Courtney Love on Howard Stern. I think she might be David Gest's doppelganger. (Do they have Michael Jackson's surgeon? Don't people know when enough is enough- plastic surgery wise? Meg Ryan, I'm talking to you!) Plus I don't think the best way to win custody of your daughter and get a not guilty verdict in your trial is to go on national radio all crazy-like and ranting. Hey Courtney, when Howard Stern- king of shock radio and all around-neurotic- tells you you have a problem- YOU HAVE A PROBLEM!

Jessica Simpson and her lap dog Nick. Much like the Osbornes lost their charm in a flurry of over-exposure, so goes another MTV reality show family. The Osbornes couldn't top their show after "Bubbles? I'm the fucking Prince of Darkness!" so the Lachey's couldn't top their, "Is this chicken, what I have, or is it fish?" So, instead they both made too mant TV appearances, had a lackluster second season and got their own major network show. Let's hope Jessica's new sitcom goes the way of the just-canceled Sharon Osborne show.

G-Unit's "Wanna Get To Know You." The last thing I want from Fiddy and company is a slow jam. I much prefer Twista's "Slow Jamz"- even if it features Jaime Fox singing.

Maroon 5. In general. Especially that stupid "This Love" song. Why must the lead singer (who- PS- is clearly a midget) wave when he sings "goodbye." GRRR. It drives me crazy. And every time I turn on MTV this mothertrucking video is playing!

Beyonce's "Me Myself and I" video. It's like a short movie about bad wigs. I feel like Samantha from Sex and the City should be playing Beyonce's part. (and I don't mean that in a bad cancer joke sort of way.) It's a bad video. Bad. Beyonce may be crazy and dangerously in love but she is Fucking Mental in fashion.

And that is my week in review!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home