Tuesday, February 03, 2004

**GOOD VIBRATIONS?**

As of dawn on Wednesday I'll be in California for a week. Getting some sunshine. Visiting my grandparents. (Did I mention that when my grandfather called last week to wish me a happy birthday he basically said, "Hey happy birthday. How does it feel to be 26 and single." To which I answered, "About the same as 25!") Hanging with my best friend from high school in Hell-Ay. (Sorry but that's how I feel about the so-called "City of Angels") So, to my four loyal readers, I will be incommunicado until February 13th. (Try not to miss me too much.) Ooh goody, just in time for Valentine's Day. So, what am I up to...

Things I'm hating this week:
The prevalence of the Darkness' video for "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" on Vh1 and MTV. (Don't get me wrong, I dig the song. And I love the video with the horney space squid. But if music telelvision ruins this song for me with overkill, I'll be furious. I'm nostalgic for the days when catching "Hey Ya" on tv made me have to get up off of the couch and shake my ass, I was so excited. Now I don't even get a twinge when the commercial for "Fifty First Dates" comes on. I just change the channel.)

The Superbowl. Superbowl. Schmooperbowl. I get that this is Oscar night for straight dudes, but it still doesn't make me want to watch. Now I get why my dad doesn't watch the Academy Awards.

The only thing I care less about than the Superbowl, is the ridiculous "controversy" about Janet's boob at halftime. Please. L'il Kim is more risque going to church. Call me, Miss Jackson, when a member of the Supreme's gets to second base with you. (Was it staged? Was it a "wardrobe malfunction"? UGH! C'mon, the only thing lamer than a publicity-grabbing stunt is a publicity-grabbing denial of a stunt!)

The fact that Scarlett Johanssen was snubbed by the Oscars. But hey, on the bright side, they snubbed Nic Kidman too. (Am I the only person who thinks that her icy performance in "Cold Mountain" totally ruined the movie? Plus her accent sucked. I don't think Aussies lived in Charleston!)

The New Yorker. I know this is an on-going battle that I have with the snooty magazine of choice amongst my compatriots from J. school. They do some good work and have a stable of good writers. But why must they say things like, "He immolated himself." when they could just say, "he killed himself." It's pretentious and it drives me BONKERS! (Or maybe I'm just low-brow. I actually laughed aloud on the train yesterday reading the February issue of Blender. Poop and sex jokes? That is a little more my level.)

The fact that my street is still not really shoveled and plowed. Its like if you live below Houston, you are a second class citizen. Shaya slipped on sidewalk ice and fell on her ass yesterday. Remind me, how many days ago was the snowstorm?

Things I'm Loving This Week:
Big League Chew. Who knew they still made this gum. It's awesome. The flavor disapears after 5 minutes, but you can blow the best bubbles. Plus, its chewy, plastic-like consistency is pleasing, in a nostalgic sort of way. (It's helping me quit smoking, one pouch at a time!)

My new ipod. As I unwrapped it, I squeeled to my parents, "Omigod! I'd marry it if I could!" I'm sure that's just the thing that parents want to hear from their single, 26-year-old daughter. Whatever- find me the man who is full of 10,000 songs and I'd marry him, too. (Especially if some of those songs were about me! C'mon, that is my not-so secret dream. I want to be a "Lady" or a "Baby" or a "Girl" in some song.)

The Killers. I know I mentioned them in a previous post, but Thursday night was their show with the Stills. (Shaya took me- another great birthday present!) Despite technical problems, they put on an amazing show. And there I was, in the second row of the not -very-crowded Bowery Ballroom, dancing and singing along like an inebriated super-fan. I'd be embarassed by my actions, if I didn't embarass myself so much worse when I got diarhea of the mouth while chatting with the drummer after their set. Whatever. I Love Them. It was bound to come out sooner or later. They are coming back to New York after mixing their album and making a video for a March 31st show with Stellastarr and Ambulance. I'm only telling you this once..... BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW!

The song "99 Problems" by Jay-Z. Speaking of problems, what is his label's problem? How could they release "Change Clothes" as the first single from his "last" album? This Rick Rubin joint rocks like early Beastie Boys- if Mike D. had Jigga's deep, chocolate flow instead of his own Brooklyn nasal twang. He's got "99 Problems but a bitch ain't one." I'm pleased things with the bootylicious one are going so well!

Reading "Never Mind the Pollacks" while listening to the accompanying CD. It's a reminder of a simpler time- when Tinkerbell's chimes on my tape recorder told me to turn the page!

The Smiths video collection mentioned in an earlier post. Bethie bought it for me as a birthday present. I've already watched it three times. Watching the Mozzer and Company on Top of the Pops just can't be beat. I think I've decided that though I'm naming my first son Declan (after Elvis Costello), my second kid (male or female) will be called Morrissey. I think Mo is a cool nickname. Plus I think I don't see enough babies with pompadours!

The new season of the Real World/Road Rules Challenge: The Inferno. I even have a fantasy team. (It's called The Infern-hos) And I belong to a fantasy league. (We're the Road Tools) I plan on making all of my points on drama and hookups! Just think of all the new couples this year- Mike and Kendall, Leah and Darrell, CT and somebody!! Let me just say that I think this is proof that I really, really, really need a job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home