Thursday, December 18, 2003

Ok, so I don’t want to be one of those hipster girls who writes about the next big band and how cool they are so that when Rolling Stone or whoever, covers them next year one can look back and see pictures of me snuggling drunkenly with the lead singer-2003-style! Well, maybe I want to be, but I can’t. I don’t know any real life rock stars (except Jen but being a rock star in your own mind doesn’t really count!). I don’t go to any hipster parties. And, since I moved out of Williamsburg four years ago I have been loathe to go back. (Seriously, folks it made me miserable there. My apartment had no windows, my roommates were turds who used to fuck their boyfriends in the same room as me and I was constantly worried about rats- we had them in our courtyard- and being stopped by the fashion police while on a late night L ride home.)
So it is with no pretensions of being cool or on the pulse that I turn your attention to my favorite band of the moment. THE KILLERS!
I haven’t stopped listening to their demo since they redeemed CMJ for me this year. (Their real debut album comes out “some time next year” according to their website.) I know CMJ was months and months ago (well, October seems forever ago!) but I had no public forum then in which to gush about my new-found love for these pretty Nevada boys! And frankly, I think Beth and Shaya got a little tired of hearing about them. Well, after dragging the ladies to their packed Don Hills show, I think Shaya was equally smitten. Beth, however, thought they were derivative. But derivative of the best bands! (Think the Cure and Joy Division, but you can dance to it!) And so so cute! I defy you to listen to Mr. Brightside (their UK single) and not be charmed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home