Tuesday, January 20, 2004

In my unemployment I have had plently of time to catch up with my reality TV. Let me be clear: I don't go in for the Bachelor(ette) and the I'm-lying-to-you romance shows like Average Joe/Joe Millionaire/My Big Fat Obnoxious Finance. I'm more a fan of MTV-style reality (like the Real World and the RW/RR challenges) or shows where celebrities look like idiots (I admit it, I love Celebrity Mole!). But I must admit, now having watched the new season of the Real World that it might be time to wrap up this series. I mean, did you see these roommates? There is all of this sexual tension and STILL I don't give a rat's ass! There is the dumb, cheating frat boy, the geekiest black guy in the world, the alterna-chick, the spiritual/sensitive dude, the Southern beauty queen-slash-racist who has already admitted that she "tells black jokes and uses the N-word!", and some girl with big boobs. Frankly I don't know who to hate more! The alterna-chick is AFRAID OF BOATS. Uh honey, you're moving to San Diego! Maybe you'd better stay landlocked. The frat boy has a perma-slack jaw which is annoying to look at. The little Southern racist runs around giving everyone in the house updates: "They are totally showering together!", "He totally likes her." It's gross. This is isn't Monday Night Football. We don't need commentary. And Breasty McChest is always wearing disturbingly small t-shirts with writing on them so all you can pay attention to is her boobies. MTV where did you find these people? They aren't charismatic and, frankly, they aren't even that attractive. They are making for terrible TV!

What ever happened to Julie, the innocent Southern dancer? Or Tammy, the bitchy drama queen? Hell, I think I'd even take the car-crash idiocy of Trash-elle over these uninteresting turds.

The Real World was an early pervayor of the reality genre and so maybe (please please please!) this season's death knell spells doom for the rest of the genre. God, will networks actually have to start hiring writers and actors and actually produce- GASP- television shows! One can only hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home