Monday, December 22, 2003

I love the end of the year. I wait anxiously by the mailbox for my extra-thick year-end editions of my favorite magazines to arrive. There is something so satisfactory about a year-end wrap-up. I mean, who among us doesn't love knowing that the year's best new TV show is the OC (come to me, Adam Brody!) or the best celebrity scandal was the Paris Hilton sex tape (which brings us to the best new trend in on-screen lighting: night vision)?! But because I'm an unabashed music geek, I most treasure the Top (insert number here) Albums of the year that are put out by all of the major magazines, websites, and blog nerds alike.

I enjoy dissecting them ("Ugh! Pitchfork is, as always representing indie snobbery at its best! I mean at least they included the two Decemberists albums, OutKast and Cat Power. But c'mon folks, NOBODY thinks the Rapture's album was the best of the year! I like the Rapture and I don't think their album makes my Top 20!"), disagreeing with them ( "Oh, how hard it must be to be Rolling Stone ? I mean when you try to make everyone happy, you end up making no one happy." Your readers who are jumping for joy that you included The Bad Plus don't give a rat's ass about Beyonce and all of her booty shakin'. Plus, you only had 50 slots to fill and you gave one of them to Fannypack?! We all thought "Cameltoe" was funny, but no one thought it was the songwriting achievement of the year! But I give them props for their breadth- including the Darkness and Blur and Johnny Cash- if not their depth!), and devouring them (I've gotta give one of those proverbial "shout outs" here to my employers over at Spin . Their singles list was almost exactly how I would do it. I mean, I could do without the 50 Cent cuz I just don't get what the big deal is about him- if I got shot nine times and lived could I also have a huge rap smash even though I'm a chubby white girl with no flow? And they picked the wrong Darkness song- "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" is so good that it haunts me, I find myself singing it out loud as I walk down the street! But they gave props to "Ignition (Remix)", "Seven Nation Army," "Beware the Boys," and (my favorite song of the year) "Hey Ya!").

So, even though no one asked or cares, when I get a little free time this week (AKA: Christmas when the Jews have nothing to do but eat Chinese food and see movies) I'm going to post my favorite albums and singles of the year here. It has always been my dream to be a part of these Year End Wrap-Ups, so I'm just going to make my own. Two things I can tell you already, though:

Favorite "Year In Music" comment, so far: Rob Sheffield saying in Slate that Justin Timberlake is just Rick Astley in a trucker hat! (Truer words have never been spoken, Rob!)

Album I've never heard but have now heard so much good buzz about that I've already decided not to like it: Dizzee Rascal ("Boy in Da Corner")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home