Tuesday, November 08, 2005

These are a few of my favorite things

Favorite new beauty product: Origins Cocoa Therapy. It is a super thick (like it looks like it is in solid form in the jar) cream that makes your skin feel soft like cashmere. I thought I wasn't going to like the smell because it is REALLY chocolatey (and, while I love the taste of chocolate the smell of cocoa is kind of dry and cloying) but it is actually kind of awesome. And it makes a nice bottom note to all of my wintery perfumes. I know I'm too broke to buy expensive and unnecessary lotions from origins but one of my friends from work is also freelancing on a beauty project and when we all went out for drinks together last week she brought a huge shopping bag full of top of the line products. I got like a whole origins skincare line too! Meeting other smart, funny (and hooked up!) freelancers in the best part of my job.

Favorite New York City road: The FDR. I have a newfound obsession with the highway that runs up the east side. When I finish work late at night on Mondays and get to take car service home, I always tell the driver to take the FDR down to Houston. This is partially because it is way faster than flying down Fifth or Second Avenues. But I've also really come to look forward to that drive. You have a great view of the Brooklyn waterfront, but my real favorite thing about the FDR is staring in the windows of all of the buildings that but up against the highway. You can look right into rooms and offices at Bellevue, so-called luxury apartments (though I don't know how luxurious it would be to have the FDR traffic blowing past your bedroom window all the time), the big overlit Con Ed building (whose glass facade is only like 2 stories high), and the cluser of sad forboding housing projects. I have always had a weird New York fascination with peering into windows to see what different apartments look like (Would I want to live here? Would I decorate like that?), but I'm especially intregued by any window that looks upon a dirty highway. Especially since so many of those buildings are hospitals (I see Bellevue, the VA, and NYU Medical Center on my drive). I know some might prefer the scenery down Fifth, but nothing beats the weirdness of the FDR for me.

Favorite Outlet Mall: Woodbury Commons. Emily drove a bitchen' new luxury car up to the outlets on Saturday and I had such a good time with my journalism school girls. I had been warned by Adam about how amazing the selection was at Woodbury (he apparantly bought some great Prada suit there last time) and my mother crowed that it was the sister mall to Cabazon in Palm Springs (which we love to spend a day at when we visit the grandparents). Luckily, as I'm broke, I managed to spend just about 60 dollars on sweaters at the Gap (which seems kinds of dumb given the range of stores there), but I felt like I did some good window shopping and can still sort of afford to pay my rent. Plus it was a great weekend to get out of town as we got to peep at some beautiful leaves upstate. Is anyone else kinda grossed out that the reason the leaves don't change here in NYC is because of the overabundance of carbon monoxide?

Favorite Recent Celebrity Sighting: Ryan Adams at Veselka. Man, I seem to always see him there. (Last time I had to text Adam to tell him to hurry his late ass up so he wouldn't miss him!) I chose a seat behind where he was sitting at the counter, enjoying a BLT and some soup. I realize that reads as a stalkerish comment, but I was much more restrained than the freakshow guy sitting near me who, as he left, went up to Ryan, patted him on the back and said something like, "How's it going, dude?" Ryan looked like he was gonna pee his pants. Can I just say how skinny he looked? I know the rumor is that he and Parker are broken up (which it definitely looked like when I saw him hitting on his waitress for 20 minutes!) and even though I'm not really into his new albums (they are too Greatful Dead twangy for me) I kinda feel like we should be together. Even with his mouth fungus. Seeing him in person again, reignited my flame.

Favorite News Story of the Week: I know that there were deadly tornadoes in the midwest and Plamegate continues, so I am very shallow for picking the following semi-story, but I'm sorry, I think it is fucking hilarious that there is a David Cross impersonator trolling the East Village for pussy. I swear the day that David Cross wrote into Gawker to denounce the guy I almost peed my pants while sitting at my computer. (Favorite part of Cross' denouncement: " I am truly very sorry if anything untoward or worse, unfunny, was done in my name. I will try to make it up to you if I can (hint, hint ladies). Sorry, that last thing was a crude and tasteless example of something this guy might say.")

(Speaking of David Cross....) Favorite Moment on Last Night's Arrested Development: I am forced to tape AD since I work Monday nights til late and I must say I am OVAH Charlize Theron's stupid plotline. (Could her accent be worse?) So I was kinda bummed when I got home from work last night around 3:30am and popped my tape in excitedly to be confronted with very Charlize-centric episodes. But anyone who didn't think that George Michael in a jet-pack fighting Tobias dressed as a mole while destroying Gob's miniature town in front of Japanese tourists wasn't the funniest fucking thing you've seen this season on the show then, sorry to tell you, but your sense of humor must've been surgically removed.

Favorite part of writing an article: Turning it in! Writing for me, though my chosen profession, is like going to the gym. I dread going, but once I'm there it's fine. The best part of going to the gym is leaving and feeling accomplished, too. Well, I just turned in my longest piece ever (it's also my first political piece since grad school). I was so freakin' worried about it and so now I just feel like celebrating. Details on when/where its running TK.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home