Saturday, November 12, 2005

Don't You Forget About Me

How could I have left these out??

Favorite new TV show: My tv watching lineup is pretty set (Grey's Anatomy on Sunday, Arrested Development--RIP--on Mondays, Gilmore Girls on Tuesdays, Lost on Wednesdays, and the OC on Thursday) and I clearly do not need to get into any more shows, but the other night I stumbled upon the N's hourlong drama, "South of Nowhere," about a family of multi-racial kids who move from Ohio to LA. And, though I hate to admit it, it is REALLY good. The girl who plays the main character, Spencer, is beautiful and age appropriate (as in, she's played by an actual teenager who is a shockingly good actress). The show looks really good and, despite appearing on the N--a kid's channel, features some really racy/controversial storylines. Already Spencer thinks she might be in love with her bisexual best friend. Check it out, it's on Friday nights, but the N reruns the week's shows at nine almost every night during the week.


Favorite new book: Indecision by Benjamin Kunkel. I know I'm clearly not the first person to discover the ultimate amazingness of this book (after all Kunkel made the Rolling Stone Hot List last month!) but I feel like this book was written just for me. I haven't read a fictional novel with a protagonist that I so related to in, I don't know, forever. And, aside from the fact that I have sort of fallen in love with the author's voice and now want to meet him and make him mine, I am really moved by the way that he has sneakily worked in politics and globalization into his late-twenty-something, faux-memoir. Don't be put off by the hipster cover art (like that of "Everything is Illuminated"). This book is amazing: post-modern, ironic yet earnest, political, slacker-y.....I don't want to keep reading it because I'm afraid of finishing it. Then it will be over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home