Saturday, April 03, 2004

**IT'S NOT CONFIDENTIAL, (THEY'VE) GOT POTENTIAL**

I was getting ready to do my whole winners/losers thing (you know, Kelly Osborne is a loser cuz she got caught with 500 stashed pills- oh the waste!! i bet they got flushed!- and shipped off to rehab by Jack and her parents. That's the pot calling the kettle black, no? etc. etc.) but really all I want to talk about is how amazing the Killers/Ambulance Ltd/Stellastarr show was on Wednesday night. I'm writing a full-on review for Full Throttle Music, so I'll spare you having to read the same shit twice, but seriously, I can't remember the last time I was as excited about a band as I am about the Killers. Actually, yes I can..... IT WAS STELLASTARR!

I just find it amazing when a band manages to be dancable and rock at the same time. I mean, back in the day, it was a prerequisite that you could dance to a pop song. Every song by Little Richard and Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly and the early Beatles were songs for dancing. But somewhere along the way- somewhere between sitar experimentation and metal guitar virtuosity- that which rocked became something different from that which you danced to. I mean that is what disco was for- dancing. Don't believe me about this dichotomy? Think back to your middle school dances- what happened when they inevitably played "Stairway to Heaven"? It sort of started off as a couples song. But then as it got heated and the drums picked up and it started rock full out the couples awkwardly fell apart and started to uncomfortably head bang.

See that never happens with the Killers. You can bounce up and down- dancing- through their whole set. In that regard they are kind of like Duran Duran or Blondie- all synthed out and danceable. But the Killers are much more rock than DD. There is more art-rock/post-punk disco drumming. The guitars are the centerpiece- full of new wave shimmer and, occassionally, the Cure-like crunchy squall. Brandon Flowers- the lead singer and, frankly, my first choice of man to father my children- talk-sings like Ian Curtis minus the dark, goth-y overtones. (Plus he looks like Ethan Hawke in Dead Poet's Society, if he were a new wave, skinny tie-d sex god! That's probably inappropriate- I'm old enough to have been his......babysitter?)

They are gonna be big, people. Huge. They are just what pop music needs- something palatable for the masses that is actually good. Kind of like if brussel sprouts magically started tasting like chocolate. Everyone would want to eat them AND they'd be good for them. Their album- Hot Fuss- comes out in June. I'll be first in line at the store. I expect to see you there.

(Songs I can't stop listening to today: Somebody Told Me- The Killers, Love Is Only a Feeling- the Darkness)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home