Monday, November 15, 2004

Got a feeling 27 is gonna be a good year

First of all, I’d like to start this post by announcing that I left my cell phone in a cab on Saturday night so, to any of you who have been trying to reach me, I’m sorry I never got your message. Email is my best mode of communication these days. (Though I hope the lovely cab driver returns my phone tonight, in which case I will be restored to my full communication glory.)
That said… I am especially gratified (even if I’m reporting on this a little late) that for the first time in seven years one artist holds both the number one and number two spots on the Billboard singles charts and that artist is BRIGHT EYES! Even if you don’t like Conor (and to those people I say, what’s wrong with you?!), you have to be a little bit excited that someone of his caliber pulled off this feat. I mean the last person to hold those spots concurrently was Puff Daddy! Does this mean that music is in a better place now? Probably not. Does it mean that more people have better taste? Not really. It probably just means that the single is an outmoded form of recorded music and the only people who are interested in buying singles are music geeks who need to own every piece of Bright Eyes minutae. But that is ok. I’m kind of one of those people. I’m especially excited for the release of his two new albums in January. One is sort of a country-tinged rock record and the other has some experimental electronica beats on it. The best part? They are being released on the same day (GNR-style) and that day is the one after my birthday! So anyone stumped for that all-important “Happy 27th Birthday, Rebecca” gift, can cross that worry off of their list. Also, on my actual birthday (January 24th) the New York Times is giving me the best present of them all (well, aside from offering up Jon Pareles’ job)…They will no longer be employing conservative op/ed columnist William Safire. He is retiring. And he picked my birthday to be his last day. Sweet. I accept that the fact that I even remotely care about this makes me a huge nerd. Whatever. 27 will be a Safire-free year. And that is more than I can say about the last 26!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home