Tuesday, August 31, 2004

She's a small wonder...

I finally got around to buying the new Rilo Kiley album, More Adventurous, and I can’t stop listening to it. Especially the song “The Absence of God.” It’s just so fucking good. If you don’t already know this LA band, go right now to allmusic.com where you can preview every one of their songs off of their last three albums. Seriously. Even though I haven’t been in much of an alt-country mood lately and I couldn’t tell you the last time I was obsessed with an album that had female vocals on it (that wasn’t remotely punk) I think their new record is just great. I’ve sort of forgotten how moving simple pop music can be since I’ve been in a three year obsession with all things new wave or post-punk. (I swear if you’re aping The Cure, Joy Division or Gang of Four, you are automatically my new favorite band!) And though most of Rilo Kiley’s (that’s pronounced Rye-Low Kylie, by the way) songs aren’t exactly what you’d call uptempo, there is something anthemic and driving about even their most sincere ballad. More Adventurous lacks the lo-fi grit and spontaneity of their earlier albums (which is to be expected, I guess, of any little band’s major label debut) and basically leaves all of the singing to Jenny Lewis (on other albums that job was shared with Blake Sennett),. At least Lewis’ lilting alto is up for the challenge. I would buy this record just to hear her unusual, sad, clear voice.

I first got turned on to their precious, country-tinged alt-pop with the release of their last record, Execution of All Things, in 2002 since it was a Saddle Creek release and fit in perfectly with their roster of wistful, earnest modern folk (like Azure Ray or Bright Eyes). But, I must admit, gossip-whore that I am, I was mostly intrigued to see what a band fronted by Jenny Lewis- former child star- would sound like. You remember Jenny? She was the awkward redhead daughter, Hannah Nefler, of Craig T. Nelson and Shelley Long in Troup Beverly Hills. She gave Ben Seaver his first kiss on Growing Pains. She had the distinct pleasure of costarring with BOTH Savage brothers (with Ben in Big Girls Don’t’ Cry They Get Even- an actually funny little film about divorce and step children- and with Fred in the Nintendo movie, The Wizard)! She was that redheaded chic who costarred on all Eighties sitcoms (well, the one that isn’t the bitch from Small Wonder!).

I can’t believe that more hasn’t been made of this in all of Rilo Kiley’s press. I mean she is like the only child star to grow up and have a respected second career in entertainment. Well aside from that chic from All in the Family who grew up to be in the New Radicals. But, even her….I mean, I wouldn’t call being part of a one-hit wonder “respected”, per se. It’s just- at least she wasn’t addicted to crack or posing in Playboy! It’s funny to me that Lewis has become like that thinking man’s sex symbol. Music geeks that are getting their PhDs in comparative literature think that she is the hottest chic ever. (Though these men generally don’t own a lot of music that’s played by women so it’s pretty much a toss up between Jenny and alt-country sex kitten Neko Case for the folk geek’s pinup girl.) And, don’t get me wrong, she’s pretty hot- especially with the 40’s screen siren image that she’s cultivating. But it’s hilarious to me think that this woman with the seductively vulnerable voice and the sultry red lips used to play Hannah Nefler! I hope that there is a rash of 80s child stars fronting amazing, interesting bands. Who doesn’t want to see Cherie from Punky Brewster get an album produced by Lil Jon? Or who doesn’t want to see Doogie Howser release an album on Sub Pop? Maybe that is where Kerri Green has been all this time: holed up somewhere recording duets with Conor for release on Saddle Creek! I’d totally buy that album!

Anyway, this is just to say that they’ve just announced a two-night stay at Bowery Ballroom in October and I’m dying to see them live. Who’s with me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home