Thursday, June 17, 2004

So give me coffee and TV

Ah late night TV, you have been very good to me this week! Last night on a VERY late Jimmy Kimmel (thanks NBA playoffs for making me stay up WAY past my bedtime to catch the Killers on TV!) Brandon and co. really rocked "Somebody Told Me" - even Jay Mohr (the evening's other guest) sang a little to introduce them! And tonight, as I was flipping from VH1 Goes Inside Hollywood Music Moments (I'm a total fucking sucker for any show that is gonna show me clips of Cameron Crowe movies and talk with music supervisors!) to catch the tail end of Conan, who was on Craig Kilborn?? STELLASTARR! Yummy.

Both bands sounded kinda funny on TV- not quite themselves. Michael Jurin was singing some kind of off-key back up vocals on "My Coco" and Brandon "The Father of Retown's Children" Flowers mostly talked the lyrics to "Somebody Told Me" while making kinda crazed, yet disinterested Ian Curtis-like faces at the camera. It was weird and TV takes away the exuberance of an actual live show. Like, on tv mistakes look like mistakes- they seem glaring and sloppy and I always feel a little bit embarassed. (That is why I can't watch a lot of reality tv- but that is a whole other story!) But at a concert, you want things to be sloppy and messy and imperfect- that's what makes it rock and roll. So, while the Killers and Stellastarr didn't seem Hollywood-perfect on their obligatory talk show appearances- they totally rock out with their cocks out at, say, the Bowery Ballroom. I must admit that I giggled all the way through the Killers Kimmel appearance. I just couldn't believe that was them on TV. Like it was Jen or Shaya or someone that I knew! Everytime the camera panned to Ronnie, I kept flashing back to accosting him downstairs at Bowery and telling him about his own tour schedule! Yeah, I hope they get big. It'd be fun to see that happen for them.

1 Comments:

Blogger shaymo said...

i want to see killers at the merc.

3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home