Monday, March 21, 2005

Picture came and broke my heart

I love Subteranean! For those of you without digital cable--whose ranks I am joining in about 10 days--Subteranean is the best show on MTV2. It's like 120 Minutes for the new milennium--except the time is cut in half. But it is the only hour that good music videos take over tv. I am always surprised Sunday nights to see some band who I NEVER thought would have a video, debuting their clip. The host is kind of a douche and can't ask a decent interview question to save his life, but at least he seems to be an actual music fan--they are like fucking endagered species on music television.

In fact, it's kind of a shame that we can't get Much Music here because their regular playlist is teeming with artists that I love....artists that never get played on regular MTV.....artists who are lucky to get played on Subteranean on MTV2 (which, by the way, airs at midnight on Sunday). Currently the videos prominently featured on their website include Goodnight, Goodnight (Hot Hot Heat), Blood on our Hands (DFA 1979), Evil (Interpol), Galang (MIA), and the new Bright Eyes--First Day of My Life--that I caught last night on MTV2.

I can't gush enough about this video. After all, it is for my favorite song on my favorite album of the year (so far). Plus, it was directed by John Cameron Mitchell--who I freaking LOVE. (If that name doesn't sound familiar to you...or you don't recognize him from his DJing at Misshapes, perhaps you know him better as the star, writer, and director of Hedwig. He totally made out with my boyfriend Michael Pitt!) But all of that aside, I really don't think I've ever seen a video like this before. It looks like it was filmed using a bunch of friends or a hipster focus group. And the intimacy of the lyrics are heightened by watching these intimate couples hear the song for the first time. It is voyeristic (because you feel like you are privvy to private moments between these people) but it is also so quiet and personal. Watching these people listen to this song on headphones is really the best expression of the intimate lyrics. Watch it for yourself and let me know what you think. I think that camera tricks or computer animation couldn't make anything as magical.

1 Comments:

Blogger shaymo said...

that song makes me misty.

1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home